Monday, in an effort to use holiday leftovers and keep from doing too much actual cooking, I threw a few things together in the crock pot. I did buy a few ingredients, but I had many on hand.
Noodles, pasta, barley, and all those great starches are always sort of a challenge in the crock pot. Put them in too soon, they’re soggy; put them in too late, they’re crunchy. I tried fideo yesterday, just to see what would happen. They puffed up, joined together, and turned into dumplings–yep, dumplings. It was quite a surprise.
You will need:
Turkey (you could also use chicken; I was doing the leftover thing)
Brussel sprouts, shredded
1 small bag fideo (you could use any type of pasta, really)
Chicken stock, to cover
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Turn the crock pot on low
- Shred the turkey (chicken) and add to the crock
- Add the veggies
- Cover with fideo
- Pour in chicken stock (you might need a little water, too) to cover the ingredients
- Give one good stir, to get the dumpling effect from the fideo, you don’t want to separate them too much
- Cover and let simmer 5-7 hours
- Once everything is tender, turn the crock pot down or off to keep from having mushy veggies