I love this little cake (obviously, the cake is not finished in this photo; what would be the fun in that?)
These little layer cakes are quick and easy for a colorful treat!
You will need:
1 box white cake mix (and ingredients)
Food coloring, various
Frosting of choice
- Preheat oven as directed on cake box
- Grease and flour your baking dishes (it will vary depending on size you want and how many colors)
- Make cake mix as prepared
- Divide batter into equal portions in separate bowls
- Tint divided batter with food coloring (I used quite a bit of food color to make sure my colors were bold)
- Bake according to package directions, check with a toothpick
- Let cakes sit for a few minutes before inverting and allowing to cool on a flat surface (these cakes don’t hold up well against wire cooling racks)
- Allow cakes to cool all the way before frosting
- Frost in between each layer of cake to help the layers stick while you stack them
- Frost the cake
- Cut into the cake, enjoy the beauty, and then eat up!
The colors are SO pretty!! 🙂 🙂 For bright colors without going broke on food coloring try gel-based ones!
like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004S1C6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=minonmed-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B00004S1C6
HA! If I hadn't decided to do this at about midnight, I'd have had a little more time to order!