Several months ago, Mr. Gray and I discovered a little deli that serves up some delicious macaroni and cheese soup. Of course, I immediately set out to try it at home–then forgot about it! This weekend, though, we decided we would have it for dinner this week.
I could taste many similarities to my broccoli and cheese soup as well as my potato soup, so I thought I’d have a pretty good chance at getting it right. Sure enough, it was good!
You will need:
1-8 ounce package cream cheese
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Course-ground black pepper, to taste
- Add elbow noodles to a large soup pot (as many or as few as you need for your crowd–I actually added more as I started cooking)
- Cover completely with chicken stock
- Bring to a boil; add grated carrots
- Reduce to simmer
- Add cream and stir (probably about 1/4 cup or so)
- Add a little squirt of yellow mustard (Pioneer Woman adds it to her baked mac & cheese; I figured I might as well stick to what works) and stir
- Add cream cheese and stir until completely blended
- Slowly add grated cheese and stir until blended
- Sprinkle in pepper to taste
- Allow to simmer until serving; add more chicken stock to thin, if needed
On another note, I found this cream cheese that I tried in mine:
I didn’t notice a difference in this and regular cream cheese; I’ll be using this again!