Every year at Christmas, and occasionally throughout the year as well, I make Puppy Chow (people call it other names: Muddy Buddies, etc.) for us to enjoy throughout all our Christmas festivities.
I always use whatever Chex I have left over from the Chex Mix I make. I usually mix and match Rice Chex and Corn Chex for the Puppy Chow since the Wheat Chex are pretty crispy.
This posed a little problem with this year’s batch of Puppy Chow. I had a little of this Simply Jif leftover, and I wanted to use the rest of the jar. However, since natural peanut butter tends to separate when it sits, I should have realized it would also separate when heated. I noticed it when I first pulled the mixture out of the microwave, but I didn’t think much of it. However, once I mixed the chocolate mixture with the Chex and poured in the powdered sugar, the powdered sugar was not enough to soak up the oil. I ended up using almost triple the recipe amount of powdered sugar in order to get it to coat.
Want to make some yourself? Here you go!
You will need:
9 cups Chex (any kind; I use Rice & Corn)
1/4 cup butter
1 – 6 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (I almost always end up using more; this year for sure)
1 tsp vanilla
- Measure cereal in to large bowl with lid; set aside
- Put butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter into microwave bowl
- Microwave uncovered one minute; stir
- Microwave in 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth
- Stir in vanilla
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal in bowl
- Stir until cereal is well-coated
- Add powdered sugar
- Snap lid on tightly and shake until all cereal is coated with powdered sugar
- Allow to cool
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
This is really one of my favorite snacks! I saw it pre-made at HEB the other day, but I was scared it wouldn’t be as good, so I didn’t buy any. As easy as this is, there isn’t much reason to buy it pre-made.